Engine Co. No. 23

  • Architect: Aleck Wilson Architects
  • Photography: Paul Dyer Photography

Originally designed by Henrikson & Mahoney and built in 1890, this Victorian-influenced firehouse was converted into a residence in 1963. (Fun fact: Since then, local notable figures including interior designer John Dickerson and former Governor Jerry Brown have called this firehouse home.) While committed to preserving the historic value of the building, our clients were looking to customize the home to fit the needs of their family, which includes two boys. Working with Aleck Wilson Architects, we renovated the entire home, adding two bedrooms and a laundry room in the process. Original details, such as the bead board in the engine room (now a rec room), fire bell, fire pole, and flag pole remain true to the historic firehouse.